Experience the Downtown Waterfront
Enjoy the sights and sounds as you explore the 2.6km of Trail through the City’s bustling downtown core. The Downtown Waterfront section begins at Trail Marker 0.0km and resumes at 21.5km. It stretches along the scenic St. Marys River, one of the most important natural features of Sault Ste. Marie. This area is home to many tourist destinations, including the Roberta Bondar Park, Pavilion, and Marina, the Sault Ste. Marie Museum, the Art Gallery of Algoma, and shops where you can find unique local treasures.
Meet Winnie Whitefish
The St. Marys River is the perfect habitat for whitefish. Look for Winnie Whitefish on the Downtown Waterfront pages for activities and fun facts about each location along the Trail. From the Locks to the Library, Winnie will swim alongside you and show you the importance of the river over the years.
Points Along the Trail
- St. Marys River LocksSide Route
- St. Marys River Rapids21.5 km
- Catching Whitefish at the Boardwalk22.0 km
- Roberta Bondar Sculpture0.0 km
- Museum Ship NorgomaOn Route
- Flags of the Sault Residents0.5 km
- The Welcome ArchSide Route
- Dedication StoneOn Route
- Art Gallery of AlgomaOn Route
- Sault Ste. Marie Public LibraryOn Route
- Sault Ste. Marie MuseumSide Route